List the six major components of the Hittite Vassal Treaty form and define each. Compare the Deuteronomic Covenant Form to the Mursilis&Duppi-Tessub document. Make sure that you reference the verses in Deuteronomy and mention what components are not found in the Mursilis & Duppi-Tessub document.
1. Title: introduces and identifies that the document is from the king 1:1-5
2. Historical Narrative: recounts previous relations between the Hittites and the vassal kingdom. Motivates vassal to serve overlord. 1:6-3:29
3. Stipulations: case and apodictic laws that serve to effect the vassal’s submission and support. 4-11; 12-26
4. Document Clause: provided (1) preservation of text in a sacred spot, (2) periodic public reading 31:24-26; Mursilis&Duppi-Tessub don’t have this section
5. Witnesses: list of gods, which serve as witnesses to the treaties 31:19, 26, 28
6. Curses and blessings: suggests what it means to have gods as witnesses. 28:1-68